Monday, October 19, 2009

Proof God Is Having A Laugh At My Expense

Around 28 hours after the rat's mysterious disappearance (when he was feeling uncharacteristically poorly and suffering gut pains), a call from the vet:

Me: Hello?

Them: Hello, is this Ewen?

Me: (hope rising) Yes?

Them: This is the Hurlstone Park Vetinary Service, you rang us yesterday morning about your missing dog...

Me: (now very hopeful) Yes, yes I did!

Them: Well, have you found your dog yet?

Me: No, no I haven't!

Them: Oh, well, we've just had a dog handed in...

Me: YES?!?

Them: It's a small black terrier thing with sort of off-grey patches on the mouth and chest, with a distinctive snaggletooth...

Me: (almost faint) Yes, that sounds like my dog!

Them: Just one thing. Was your dog a boy or a girl?

Me: A boy!

(long pause)

Them: Ah. Sorry. It's a girl.

Me: (sighs) Oh, don't worry, not your fault. Thanks for calling.

Them: No worries. Good luck in the meantime, finding your dog.

Me: Yeah. Thanks.

Boggling at the sheer IMPLAUSIBILITY of them finding such a similar dog within 24 hours, I sigh and decide to go for another joyless walk which emphasizes how lonely life is...

I open the door.

The Rat is standing on the front terrace, in complete health, like nothing happened.

Me: You bastard! YOU UTTER, UTTER BASTARD!!!

I pick him up and hug him, weeping with joy.

In the immortal words of Mad Larry the Pirate King:







TONIGHT I LOVE THE WORLD AND EVERYTHING IN IT!!!

2 comments:

Jared "No Nickname" Hansen said...

Hurrah! Now I can live without fear you're going to top yourself!

Seriously, though, that's great. And I was worried for you but in that state where I wasn't sure what to say.

Is that last pic David Tennant having sex with a guitar?

Youth of Australia said...

Hurrah! Now I can live without fear you're going to top yourself!
Indeed!

Seriously, though, that's great. And I was worried for you but in that state where I wasn't sure what to say.
I was in a pretty bad way, it's true.

Is that last pic David Tennant having sex with a guitar?
Of course not!

Don't be disgusting!

HOW DARE YOU!

It's actually Matt Smith having sex with a guitar while DRESSED as David Tennant.

Anything else would just be sick...